Monday Meandering

Is it Monday again? Wow – that was the fastest week ever! I was tending to a sick child this weekend – some sort of horrible stomach flu bug. Poor little thing. Fingers crossed she gets well soon and we don’t get it.  Anyway, here’s what I loved/what’s new this past week.

1) This pin was repinned many times and I see why.  Love the grey cabinetry, brass hardware and the ornate mirrors.  I clicked through to Layla’s blog to read about the homeowner’s who restored a building turning it into a home decor store and a residence. You can read about it here.

 

2) I’m sure by now you have heard that the Pantone colour of 2014 is Radiant Orchid. It is a blend of purple, pink and fuchsia hues. Like many designers who have commented on this, I’m not a purple person.  I think you either love it or you don’t and I’m in the latter camp. But I must admit, that I was eyeing lavender bed linens in a greyed down version this weekend to pair with my navy headboard which is being delivered this week. So, I can be persuaded if it’s a muted shade in small doses.

I perused my pins and no surprise, I didn’t have many rooms with shades of purple in them.  Here’s a few I found and how I would use this colour judiciously in interiors.

Besides this gorgeous mirror, it’s the lovely pillows that make this living room a standout in my mind.

 

A singular chair (in the foreground) in this shade works well with the various purple and grey hues in this Betsy Burnham designed room.

This ottoman is kind of unexpected (and gorgeous) in the living room of Ginnifer Goodwin.

3) Read about Jenny’s foray into glossy blue walls. Could you be so daring?

4) I think I sense a colour theme in this post. What are your thoughts on red walls? (I had a dark red dining room about 10 years ago and loved it.)

5) Sometimes, I think about quitting the blog as it sometimes becomes “another thing to do” but then something amazing comes out of it, and I’m glad I didn’t give it up. I will share once the organizers have announced it -  it’s really kinda cool. If you follow me on Twitter or Facebook, I’ll tweet something this week. I think 2014 is going to be an amazing year.

Have a happy week! Enjoy the holiday decorating, shopping and festivities!

If you are looking for some last minute gift ideas, a 2-hour design consultation with me may be just the thing for the special someone in your life! Contact me at vanessa(at)vanessafrancis.com for rates and info.